Customer Care: Warning Signs of a Faulty Boiler


We all know that boilers don’t last forever. And as they age, many homeowners can be faced with potentially dangerous faults.


A faulty boiler can release carbon monoxide, also known as the silent killer, into the home. As an installer, it’s your job to make sure your customers see the signs before it’s too late. But what are the warning signs of a faulty boiler?

The home isn’t as warm as it normally is

If your customer is feeling the chill more than usual, despite switching the heating on, chances are the boiler isn’t working as well as it should. It’s worth pointing out to the customer that not only is this not heating the house sufficiently, it is also a waste of money and energy. The same goes for hot water. If it’s running lukewarm, this could be a sign of a faulty diverter driver. They will need a Gas Safe registered engineer to take a look at the problem.

The boiler needs frequent repairs

If a boiler is in constant need of resetting, there may be an issue. If it is old and is in need of frequent repairs, your customers must have it replaced as it could become a hazard to the home. If you find yourself returning to the same customer for repeated problems, you should be recommending a replacement.

There are strange noises coming from your heating

There are many reasons behind the noises a boiler makes, from a faulty pump to an old fan. However, wear and tear can be more problematic than just simple ageing. It’s always wise for your customers to pay attention to these noises and call you if they are unsure.

There is a strange smell emitting from the boiler

Another sign your customers should be looking out for is dark markings around the boiler. Should they appear and/or there is a strange smell, it could mean that the burning function is faulty. Again, a Gas Safe registered engineer should be called up straight away. These markings could indicate a leakage of carbon monoxide, which is both poisonous and fatal.

Carbon monoxide detector is beeping

Finally, if the carbon monoxide detector keeps beeping while the boiler is in operation, this is a sign there could be a problem that is extremely dangerous to anyone living in that home. In the event of this occurring, they must call a Gas Safe registered engineer immediately to see what the problem is. You should also let them know that they can call the National Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999 if they need to.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness

If your customers suspect that they or anyone in their home has inhaled carbon monoxide, it is important for them to get fresh air immediately, turn off the appliance(s) and leave the house. If they think they are in danger, they should ring the National Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999. They should also seek medical attention as soon as possible.