The course will provide cavity wall and loft insulation installers with an understanding of the risks associated with the installation of cavity wall and loft insulation in domestic premises where gas, oil and or solid fuel appliances are fitted and how to minimise the risk of compromising the safe operation of those appliances.
1. Legislation and Basic Safety
- Health & Safety at Work Act.
- Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations
- Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrence Regulations (RIDDOR)
- Relevant British Standards
2. Combustion and its control
- Fault diagnosis
3. Flues and Chimneys
- Glossary of Terms
- Regulations and Codes of Practice
- The need for and operating principles of a flue and factors affecting its performance.
- Materials and Construction
- Individual open flue natural draught systems
- Open flue fanned draught systems
- Testing and commissioning
- Individual open flue fanned draught systems
- Individual room sealed systems
- Shared open flue natural draught systems
- Air supply requirements
5. Working in lofts
- Chimneys and ventilation in lofts
- Safe work in lofts
The course will not involve or cover any ‘work’ on any ‘gas fittings’ as defined by Regulation 2(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998.
The course will not enable successful operatives to carry out any gas work or register with Gas Safe Register, OFTEC or other registration body for fossil fuel appliances.
The course will not cover general work activities involved in the installation of cavity wall insulation e.g. working at heights, working with portable electric power tools, general health & safety or COSHH etc.
ACoP 20 has been withdrawn by the HSE, an industry guidance document has been published to replace the withdrawn ACoP and is titled Standards of Training in Gas Work. This guidance was published by IGEM and became effective as from 1st April 2014 (an e-copy is available to download free of charge from IGEM http://www.igem.org.uk/technical-standards/guidance/standards-of-training-in-gas-work.aspx
Successful candidates will be issued a Logic Certification certificate and ID card that will be valid for a period of 5 years.
Candidates are provided with training, training manual and a multiple choice written assessment.